Wednesday, January 11, 2017

A Year of Flowers: Carnations in January, Avery Perfume Gallery, New Orleans, LA

I'm so happy to announce that right from the jump this shoot has gained attention and is being featured today on Green Wedding Shoes. This is a huge deal, as GWS is very exclusive, receiving over 500 submissions each day. AND to make this sundae even sweeter, the series "A Year of Flowers" has been picked up by GWS for the next 11 months. So, hopefully, my photography will be featured another 11 times this year! To all those involved, I can't thank you enough!

This last year has been kind of tough. Between SF and New Orleans, I've been working so hard that I've neglected my artistic self but, when my friend Destiny approached me about shooting her passion project, I said yes. I really didn't know how much I needed this until I started shooting, and so far it's been wonderful. Passion projects often take a lot time, energy and money to create, but, Destiny, from Poppy and Mint, had a vision and it was contagious. If all goes well, by the end of 2017 we will have worked on a series of 12 shoots, each showcasing the flower of that month. 

New Orlean's Avery Perfume Gallery provided the perfect dark and quirky location for our shoot. Destiny wanted to go for a vintage feel, so I researched shots from 1950’s Mod magazines to get the right style. The lighting that day inspired me to have an Annie Lebowitz’s chiaroscuro approach which fit the mood really well. 

This inaugural shoot features a highly undervalued flower, the carnation, the flower of January. In the 1800s Victorian Floriography, the language of flowers, carnations were often given as a way to convey thoughts or feelings for another person. The deeper the shade of red, the more love and passion one felt for another. At the same time, carnation essence started being used in French perfumeries because of its unique cinnamon like aroma. By the 1930s carnations had become highly prized and priced just for their smell. 

Florist: Poppy & Mint Floral Company @poppyandmint
Venue: Avery Perfume Gallery  @avery_perfume_gallery
Makeup & Hair: Bleu @bleu_a_blowdrybar
Dress: Gossamer Over-lay: BHLDN @shopgossamer & @bhldn
Shoes: Melissa Shoes USA @melissashoeusa
Jewelry: Valobra @valobrajewelry
Model: Kristin Mancina

A special thanks to Logan Sacco-Doerries from a Pop of Love NOLA @popoflovenola for assisting and pushing for publication! 


No comments:

Post a Comment